Thursday, January 05, 2006

Ghosts in the Graveyard

My favorite game was Ghosts in the Graveyard--I recall playing it very late on a summer's night, under a blanket of stars in a dark sky. We lived in the country, and neighbors weren't close by, so it was a rare occasion that there was a group of kids large enough to play. Everyone would hide but the "Gravekeeper" who would wander the yard. At a crucial moment, ghosts would leap from their hiding places, screaming in a frightful fashion--"Ghooooosts in the Graaaveyard.......Ghoooosts in the Graaaveyard!" and try to run to "home base." If the Gravekeeper tagged you, you were It for the next round. It was deliciously spooky and especially fun to hide with someone, so you could both leap out, split the Gravekeeper's attention, and make it safely home.

2 Comments:

At 4:38 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This sounds like a great game Karen. I would have enjoyed it immensely

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Luna said...

What a wonderful game. I would probably have been afraid as a child. Even today I like the idea of ghosts but I would never want to actually see one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home