Sunday, January 08, 2006

Always Been Creative

I sat and thought about games I used to play as a child. Nothing came readily to mind. I couldn’t think of a single one. You see I was an only child for the first 6 years of my life and my parent’s friends didn’t have young children. My father was in an Irish folk band – The Quarefella’s – and I was taken along to all the gigs. I had the usual assortment of dolls and stuffed toys, my favourite being monkeys.

But as I sat and thought, I knew that there had to be something that occupied my time. It was then that I remembered the scrapbooks. My mother bought me scrapbooks, scissors glue and project packs. They had pretty pictures to cut and paste. I even had paper dolls to dress in pretty paper dresses.

My parents owned a unit in the city. I remember when tenants moved out my mother would go in and clean it before tenants moved in. She took me along, armed with my scrapbook supplies, to keep me occupied for hours at a time.

So it seems I have always been creative – my mother even nurtured that creativity – although there have been lapses over time, after my mother read my diary in my teens I didn’t keep a diary or a journal again until I was in my 20’s, now I keep them regularly and have many volumes.



3 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Megan Warren said...

With my Mum's passing just a few short months ago, i have tried to focus on the happy memories and this for the most part is one of those.

 
At 12:28 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Lovely remembrances.

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Focusing on the happy memories really is an important way of coping Megan and will, enable you to move on carrying a lighter load. I too spent a lot of time scrapbooking but never did have the paper dolls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home